My Grandma Joy passed away peacefully in her sleep on early Wednesday morning, February 15, 2012. I joked (and later wrote it in her obituary)
That the family believes she had a long-overdue Valentine's date with her dearly departed husband and that they are now reunited forever!
My Grandma missed my Grandpa so much. My memories of my Grandma & Grandpa Hall in my youth is them ALWAYS together. It wasn't often you'd see them a part. They fought and bickered, but you knew they just loved each other so much, there's no putting words to their love. So I know these last five years have been hard and lonely on my Grandma. They'd been married 64 years at the time of his passing.
Bob & Joy Hall
January 15, 1940
In August 2011, right when we moved here to Utah, my Grandma was moved from her home to an assisted-living home. She hated it. As much as she had a hard time these last six months, I'm so grateful for the opportunity, for once in my life, to live in close proximity to my Grandma Joy. Never did I think this would be a possibility! I saw her weekly, sometimes three times a week, sometimes fewer. Most of our visits were spent in conversation of the past. She talked a lot of my Grandpa and their life together when they were first married and then he left for the service for four years. What a life they led together.
So when my Grandma was having non painful "mini strokes" about five days before she passed, we all welcomed this and were hoping that at 91 years old she'd find peace and comfort in passing. And hoped that it would happen quickly. And it did. What a blessing! No pain and she's now where she's wanted to be. How hard to be one of the last women standing in a line of people she loved. Her husband, her parents, her two sisters, three brothers and many sister & brother in laws whom she loved so much had ALL passed on. And now she is with them. I'm so grateful!
A few things I'll remember most of my Grandma Joy is our lunch dates & drives through the canyon. And no outing was complete without an accompanying Diet Coke :)
One of our last lunch dates to El Azteca. She loved the taquitos
And our final outing, I took her to have her nails done and then out to lunch where she insisted she eat anything but chicken. She had been annoyed at how much chicken they'd been serving back where she lived.
My Grandma Joy with her children on her 91st birthday, December 16, 2011
I can't believe my last Grandparent has passed. Such a strange place to be in. I loved my Grandparents so much. I'm grateful for the unconditional love I received as a grandaughter from these good people.
Monday, February 20, 2012
Grandma Joy Hall
Posted by Marcy at 7:31 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment