Monday, July 7, 2008

Our fourth of July weekend in pictures...

It began with a family swim at the Kite Hill pool


This year we asked my Dad (history buff) to talk to the kids about America and why we celebrate the fourth. The kids were so into it. Here is Leda with grandma enjoying the lesson...

Spencer really appreciated what Grandpa was saying


He had to get closer to see what Grandpa was pointing to


Way to go Grandpa! Thanks for the cool stories and the prep you put into this!


The kids (well, Leda and Spencer) led us in the Pledge of Allegiance and then sang us some patriotic songs they learned at preschool.


After a BBQ, we did "California fireworks" sigh. Aaron still can't believe this is all his son is allowed to "set off" on the fourth of July.



Then it was off to watch REAL fireworks.


Here is Grandpa explaining to Chase what the fireworks do...man, does Chase ever love his "bampa"





The next day we headed with my folks out to Pasadena for a BBQ with friends. Here's a picture of my parents with some of their best friends. My Dad grew up with Steve in Arcadia, and his wife Janet and my Mom were college roommates at BYU. Needless to say, they've all been friends for years...and I grew up with their kids.


Their backyard is just gorgeous, and the kids got to swim while the adults talked and ate. It was such a nice evening. Chase had a ball running around. I don't think he'd seen such a big yard.


I love this smile on Spencer. He had such a great time, he cried when we left and asked, "Mom, when can we go back to this place?" The next day he asked Aaron, "When our house falls to the ground, can we move to a place that has a pool in the backyard?" lol


We met 10 years ago this month. Ahhh...


Steve and Janet's daughter, Shannon and I have been friends since birth. Here's a picture I found of us together in a singing group. I think we were seven here. Hilarious, no?


And here we are today. Shannon's pregnant here with her third and that's why no body shot was allowed in this picture...her request even though she's adorable, so all we're left with is a fat-face angle shot of me. ;)


And here are our girls today. Her oldest daughter Lauren (4) with my Leda (3). It really is neat for me to see our kids becoming friends. How adorable are these girls? Shannon, I think our girls are way cuter than we were as children. ;)


And this is for my sister: She often comments that it looks like we have SO much fun from the pictures on my blog. And while we do, I feel I should say: the only pictures I didn't get this weekend were the ones of my kids fighting. And trust me, in between the fun there was plenty of fighting going on. I'm not sure what that was about...something in the water maybe? lol. But ya, this weekend there were moments where I was pretty much wondering why I gave my kids siblings :)

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

how cute, your parents are adorable too. What a fun weekend!

Barbara said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend! I love that you had your dad teach the kids why we celebrate the 4th. Great idea.

Carrie said...

Oh my! I am SO envious of your weekend! Mom looks so great and you look amazing! Why didn't we ever do anything patriotic like that when we lived there? And Aaron in the pool???? Wow! I am impressed! Way to go Aaron! I am so glad you had fun. See you tomorrow!!

Emily said...

I was thinking the same thing as Carrie...Aaron in a POOL??? ;)
I loved the patiotic lesson too (that was our FHE the Monday before and we're going to make a tradition out of it). Such cute pictures of everyone!

Hillary said...

What a fun day!!

Brooke Wilkins said...

how cute is that! your dad doing the 4th of july lesson. that is priceless!

Roney Family said...

Looks like you had a great 4th. How cute that your dad gave the kids a little lesson on why we celebrate. That is pretty awesome. Looks like you had a wonderful time. We miss you at swim class. Love your outfit that we have twinners of. We need to where it the same time. Oh, you need to come over and swim.

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Ah, what a neat idea to have a little history lesson. I'm totally going to steal that one when my kids are a little older. Looks like you had a blast!

SUMMER said...

LOVE the singing pic from back in the day Marce! Too funny! And I have old memories of the good old Kite Hill pool. It's a great one. HUGE!

Abi said...

Cute pics! I am glad you had a great time. I miss seeing you at swim class every day!

L said...

Oh - the kite hill pool. I love that place! I LOVE that your dad gave a 4th of july tribute. I bet it was soo good - I wish I could have heard it! Your parents are so cute! Our family's need to get together for a beach BBQ or something... wouldn't that be a blast?