Sunday, April 15, 2012

Midway Spring Break trip

A while back Aaron saw a groupon for a stay at a resort in Midway and emailed me if I was interested. Uh, yes please! So we decided to cash it in for a two day, one-night stay over Spring Break. Grandma & Grandpa wanted in on the vacay as well and we were thrilled to have them come!

Our first stop was the Homestead Crater. It is a 55-foot tall, beehive-shaped limestone rock that nature has hollowed out and filled with 90° to 96° water. It was fascinating, as we'd never seen anything like it before! Aaron was still working (and meeting us at the hotel later) so just Grandpa, Spencer, Leda & I took an hour-long dip in the warm mineral water. Floating around, feeling the stalagmites, looking through goggles at the scuba divers down below. It was SO much fun and I'm so glad we decided to do it. Kinda funny that it was snowing when we went in. We were freezing and so that made the experience of warm water so much better!

It was hard to get a clear picture in there since there was so much steam. These one will have do to.






Then I took my iphone out and managed to capture this pretty clear one!

The view looking up!




Next we met up with Aaron and checked in to the Zermatt hotel. It's a Swiss based hotel that was so charming. It really felt like we were in a different place once we entered the grounds.

should have moved Aaron's car out of the background...but you can still see a bit of the quaintness of the hotel

It even had fun Swiss music piped all over....hence Aaron busting into a dance that the kids couldn't resist joining in on as we later toured the grounds...




Upon check-in we got chocolate dipped strawberries

Our room with a view!



The next morning it had snowed and this was all white!

There were two days of swimming in the indoor/outdoor pool

Chase wears his goggles like this because he's OK with his eyes getting wet, but hates his mouth getting wet and thinks this helps? Uh, okay buddy. Whatever!

outdoor hot tub where the snow stopped so we could snap a pic!

I believe I have a hot tub shot like this with my kids in just about every hot tub we've ever been in! They look so old here.


This was the annex to swim to the outside pool. Never mind it was snowing out there...the kids didn't care!

This weekend there was lots of eating to be had...




This one Mexican place had 50 fresh salsas to try. These two (and me) were in TOTAL spice heaven.

We rented a movie (Mr. Poppers Penguins) and got cozy before our 11:30pm bedtime. SUCH a treat for these kids as bedtime (8pm) is a religion in our house. But it did make for grumpy kids the next morning. Ah well, vacation is for doing these types of things!
And of course there were cuddles with Grandma & Grandpa in their hotel room...& not only because it was Grandma & Grandpa's room that had the treats :)

There's been some stress lately in the family recently and simply put: this trip was SUCH a nice break. Just what we needed. And knowing this getaway is just 30 minutes from home, it's nice to know it's there for the next time we need a break!

(hint hint: Aaron...take me alone next time, no offense family that I love dearly)

1 comments:

camille said...

So fun! We went there the day before I was endowed and I remember that crater. I have a pic in there, too. :) I am wearing like 1" inseam shorts and a tank in honor of the last day I could wear that around... haha. LOVE AND MISS YOU!

p.s. went to the beach last week and Laura turned and said to me,"Marcy needs to be here." I replied, "Seriously! She really, really does!" ugh, sigh.