Monday, November 16, 2009

Chase's big owie

Last Wednesday was a lazy morning. Spencer was home sick from school, I was upstairs talking to Aaron (contributing to him running a tad bit late to work)...when all of a sudden we hear Spencer and Leda screaming and crying, "THERE'S SO MUCH BLOOD, CHASE HIT HIS HEAD!"

Aaron and I FLEW downstairs to find that yes indeed, there was a lot of blood. The kids were playing in the garage/playroom and Chase had managed to climb up on top of an old couch (that we'd been meaning to get rid of for a week) and fell back and hit his head on our workout bench. It was awful, my poor baby!

I panicked because I didn't know how bad it really was. While scooping Chase up to take him to the sink, I may or may not have screamed Aarons name about a hundred times even though he was standing right there next to me. I've learned that this is what I do in a crisis. Just kinda frantically say, "Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, Aaron!" over and over. This isn't the first time I've done this. Aaron finally had to say, "Marce, STOP saying my name" lol

There's so much blood in a head wound that you never really know how bad it is until you can stop the bleeding and have a look. Once things calmed down a bit we saw that yes it was deep but not life threatening, so I was able to calm myself down.

Once my Mom and sister arrived at the house to watch Leda and Spencer, Aaron and I were off to take Chase to the ER. I happened to have my camera in my purse, so of course had to document Chase's first real big owie!

A few long hours in the ER, five head staples and one red Popsicle later we were on our way home and Chase was on the mend. Whew, what an exciting day! One that I don't want to relive any time soon. It could have been so much worse, though and I'm so grateful for how things turned out.

On our way to the ER--at this point the bleeding had stopped and Aaron didn't need to hold a towel to his head any longer.


The wounds. How he managed two separate deep cuts, we'll never know! At least he had cute matching jammies on though, I planned that well, eh?



He was so brave and digging the remote control to the TV


After, ouch huh?


He got to pick a prize from the treasure box. He chose bubbles. His nurse was so fantastic and so very cute with him!


Red Popsicle and thumbs up sign. All is well!

11 comments:

Hillary said...

I would have totally freaked out, too! I'm not good in scary situations and always scream for Derk as well. Especially when my kids are choking. For some reason, I just completely freeze up and can't think of what to do, other than scream for Derk.

Glad he's okay!!

Carrie said...

Oh how I love and miss that little Chase! I am so glad I was there and able to help you out. I miss the days where I could run over to your house in minutes...... darn Utah!

Meli T said...

So scary Marcy! Glad the little man is on the mend and thank goodness for awesome husbands and nurses.

~April~ said...

Sad! I'm glad he's doing better. I would have freaked too!

The Hyer Family said...

I'm so sorry---that really bites! We've now done 4 ER visits, and it's not fun...surprisingly I handle them better than I ever would have imagined...it's Andy that sort of freaks out!

Unknown said...

What a trooper. Both of you! Hee! Hee! Stuff like that is so scary. A million things go through your mind in 30 seconds. I am so glad little ones are made to be so tough. Now he has a great story to tell.

Barbara said...

Even though I had heard the story a few times, it made it so much more real with the pictures! What a brave little boy - AND MOMMY!

Alicia said...

Poor kiddo!

Crystel said...

Yikes! Scary. I hate having to take the kids to the ER. But glad he's ok.

The Allen Family said...

I am so glad your husband was running late that day to be there with you guys. Good job on the jammies. Im so glad he's alright!

Kim Messick said...

Oh, Marcy, I'm sorry! I don't do well with blood! You are so brave! I'm glad that Aaron was there for you too!