Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Boys and their toys

For Christmas, our family received the Nintendo Wii gaming system from Grandma and Grandpa. If I'm honest, I was hesitant about introducing video games into our family culture. But as the saying goes, everything in moderation and it hasn't been a bad thing at all.

Last night after Family Home Evening, Spencer insisted that Aaron and I open up (early) the Valentine cards he made for us at Kindergarten.

Was I surprised that on his Dads card, I saw this drawing?

Uh, nope!
(It's him and his Dad playing the Wii, note the spikey hair. I love it)


For those that don't know what the Wii controller looks like...



This Valentine Card made us both laugh so hard. He really does appreciate the one on one time he gets with his Dad playing the Wii for fifteen minutes or so after homework is done and the other kids are in bed. I'm glad they are building these memories together.

Father and son bonding




but with the Star Wars Lego game?



It baffles me as I find Super Mario Bros 3 my game of choice (I beat Aaron every time), but whatever, boys and their toys!

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, that made me chuckle! He is such a cute kid and I miss him SO MUCH!! My boys are definatly jealous that Spencer has a Wii and they don't!

Barbara said...

That is so cute. Boys and their toys is right! And the toys only get more expensive as they get older. Cute that they get to play together after the other kids are in bed.

The Hyer Family said...

OK, that's 100% awesome...love it..my word verification is sucksk...funny

PJ and Julie said...

I love it! That card is priceless! We hardly play our Wii anymore so let me know if you ever want to borrow some games: mario olympics is fun, or Big Brain (my brain is bigger than PJ's!)

Andrea said...

That's awesome. I love that they play together. It's Guitar Hero that my boys play, but it's on a play station. Jonathan is getting pretty good, I swear they are wired for techonology when then are born!

Laura Ek said...

We love the Wii around here too. Although I really don't play, I leave that for the boys. It amazes me how good Connor is at it, and Lego Star Wars is his Fav!!!

Crystel said...

We have specific game days to keep things in moderation. Its worked well for us. With Wii I'm acutal competition for Ty. He usually kicks my hiney at pretty much anything, but its nice to finally be more evenly matched. :) The sad part is that the boys kick my hiney too! But I love how its much more interactive than just sitting there like a bump on a log staring at a screen. What will they come up with next!?