Sunday, January 25, 2009

Proud of my Dad


My Dad has been playing the piano since he was a little boy. He began playing the organ when he was just 13 years old for his ward at Church. He went on to study at BYU and has been a professional organist for 35 years now. He still plays every Sunday for an episcopal church (The Church of the Angels in Pasadena) and he's been their organist since before I was born.

This past weekend he soloed on the harpsichord with the South Coast Youth Symphony Orchestra (conducted by the prestigious conductor Rocky Lee) and again, we couldn't be more proud!


He got to get all dressed up in a fancy tux...doesn't he look snazzy? We think it's the first time he's been in a tux since the day he married my Mom!




When I was little I used to think that everyones Dad could just sit down at the piano or organ and perform any song I wanted at request. But it wasn't until I was older that I learned my Dad was special. Dad, I love watching you play and that you have shown me by example over the years what it means to work hard to develop the gifts you are given.




And hey, thanks for giving Aaron and I a reason to get a babysitter and go enjoy a date night out listening to uplifting music. To put it in your words, "You didn't do half bad!"

We love you!

13 comments:

Mom D said...

Thanks Marc for a wonderful tribute to Dad. He was so good last night and made me proud . . .he always makes me proud. Glad to have part of your date with Aaron. Taco Rosa is a great place . . .wish we had had room for Chocolate Churros!

Carrie said...

Thanks, Marcy for posting pics. I really wish I could have been there. One of the many things I miss about California and living next to everyone is hearing dad play. Man, it brought tears to my eyes as I read this post. I always remember after church waiting to hear the postlude because he always asked us what song we wanted played. I really wish I could hear him play the "Trumpet Tune". That has and always will be one of my all time favorites. Thanks dad for being you and sharing your AMAZING talent with everyone. I wish I could have been there in person, but know that I was there in spirit! Love you LOTS!!!

L said...

He is so talented and looks so handsome in that tux!

The Allen Family said...

Your parents are so cute. That was a really sweet and touching blog.

Crystel said...

Oh! I miss hearing the "you didn't do half bad". Give your parents a hug from us. Miss you all!

Emily Judd said...

wow! that sounds amazing! what a great talent to have! I remember growing up thinking that everyone could play the guitar like my dad. I love musical talents. they really are special.

I got your comment on my blog and you can definitely see it! Maybe i'll bring it to church next sunday or something? I think blurb used to be compatible with blogger but I heard that it isn't anymore. I really just went through each month's posts and wrote down highlights or copy and pasted it into the book. There might be another company out there that does it though...i'm not sure!

Jennifer said...

FOr some reason I thought your blog was private...I am so glad it's not. I red your last few posts and they were so fun. Well, the one about the sad day wasn't. but you really are so sweet with Spencer. I probably would have told Madison to stop being so dramatic, buck up, and stop crying before I gave her a reason. SOmetimes I frighten myself! I loved the jalepeno story, classic. I did lol to the picture too. Well, now I know to check your blog often, it's a good read!

The Hyer Family said...

Hip Hip Hooray for Paul! I love it! That was the greatest post!

The Glitter Sisters said...

I too have always loved hearing your dad play! He is amazing! Way to go Bro. D!

Marcie said...

What a cute post and interesting to know! What a talented Dad you have. :)

Kat said...

What a great tribute to your dad! How neat!

Aubrey Messick said...

I've always thought Brother Duncombe was such an amazing Organist player. What an awesome experience for him. And he looks GREAT in a tux!

Kim Messick said...

What an awesome man! And your Mom is great too!
Love your fam...
Kim Messick