Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"When did we become a grown-ups?"

This is the question I asked Aaron this morning as we were swapping car seats in between cars, as we were figuring out who was going to pay what bill today, as I was bringing in groceries from an early morning trip to Ralphs after the gym, and while I had four kids (our three plus Sydney who I watch 2x a week) all at my feet anxiously awaiting their breakfast that I'm responsible to give them.

Seriously, it's as if all of a sudden we are all grown up with a mortgage, bills, a car payment and three kids who depend solely on us for everything. This morning I had one of those surreal moments where I realized that yes; I'm happy with where I'm at in life as this so called "grown-up," but I barely remember how I got here.

Know what I mean?

7 comments:

Hilary said...

Sigh...it's a harsh reality BUT, I wouldn't change where I am at either. Would like to sleep in past 6:00am, but oh well...what can you do!!

Elizabeth said...

are you kidding me? I couldn't agree with you more! I totally understand, it's really wierd, I think about that all the time! It's wierd being a grownup, becuase I feel like I should still be in college or something or still be hanging out like all my friends from high school are still doing! But really I wouldn't change a thing, I love it even though I want to die some days! (well most days!) haha

Hillary said...

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I look at my 3 kids and just think, "WHEN did I get 3 kids?!" It's just surreal sometimes.

~April~ said...

Yeah, it's nuts. And sometimes... I really hate being grown up :P

Brooke Wilkins said...

I totally know what you mean! I mean I only have one, but sometimes I will look at her and be like ok I am YOUR MOM! What??

Marcie said...

I know! Mike and I turn 30 this year and it's just too weird. The years are going by but I still feel so young!

Alice said...

I'll be 30 in just a few more months!

I remember my mom saying something about knowing she was a grown up, but feeling the same as she always had, kind of like a teenager stuck in a grown-up's body (with the grown-up responsibilities).

I didn't get it at the time, but it's hitting me pretty hard lately.

I was at a young women's activity last week, and a bunch of the other advisors discovered they were all the same age.

Younger than me.

That was weird.