Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Sunday afternoon

When the kids woke up from naps after church today, we wanted to do something where we could enjoy the nice weather as a family and still stay cool, so we decided to go walk around the pier in San Clemente. Well, after driving around for ten-minutes trying to find parking (evidently we weren't the only ones to have this grand idea) we decided to make a detour to Dana Point Harbor.



We often forget about this beautiful place in Dana Point and had such a nice few hours walking around with the kids. They enjoyed the "pirate ship" that's parked there at the marina and got to watch some kids on deck yell "Heave Ho" as they were raising the flag. Spencer was in heaven as he aspires to be a pirate someday.



We love the ages of our kids where everything is so fun and exciting to them. We had interesting conversations about why waves are so big (Spencer says it's Heavenly Father "mixing things up"), if sharks can jump the rock getty wall and get us on the other side (Uh, no), and what part of the ocean is the deep end and which part is the shallow end. Leda swears she saw an octopus eat a shark---what a crack up. We didn't by the way, but we did see a dog on a surfboard. Very cool.




I know someday I'll look back at these pictures and forget how little they once were. For now I don't want to think about that. I think for now, I'll just enjoy this last picture of them walking along this beautiful path with their Daddy on a warm Sunday afternoon.

9 comments:

Laura Ek said...

What a great idea. We'll have to try that one day! The pirate ship would be a hit!

Aubrey Messick said...

Your family is so darling. I still remember being about the age of your kids and walking with my mom and dad through the dana point harbor on warm sunday afternoons and looking at the tide pools, climbing on the rocks, and playing in the water. Your kids will remember these times forever!

L said...

Great post!! Your kids are SO precious - and SO funny! They say the cutest things! I love that Spencer aspires to be a pirate. Every Mother's dream, eh? lol. And "mixing things up"? How darling is that? That is just too cute!

I LOVE the DP harbor!! Michael and I go there a lot... it never gets old to me!

The Hyer Family said...

Cute, cute, cute...you're my inspiration that I can handle 3 kids, and maybe even enjoy myself!

Alisa said...

Those pictures are so priceless. I love the conversations that were going on. Oh yeha and i love your shirt, i wish i would have gotten one when they had them.

Brooke Wilkins said...

I love sunday walks! They are seriously the BEST!

SUMMER said...

Cute family pic... I love a nice sunday afternoon! We don't get those with with 1:30 church! Ahhh!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

I am so jealous that you live so close to the ocean. It is beautiful there and what a fun family memory you just made. I think Spencer will make a great pirate! ARRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

Boy do I ever miss the beach! I never thought I would say that as I NEVER was a beach bum! You better believe that were going to be at the beach A LOT while I am visiting! So rest up!!