Thursday, May 22, 2008

busted water heater=not a ton of fun!

So yesterday I was just about ready to head out the door with four kids (the little girl I babysit was here too) at about 10am. I had one last thing to do: fill Chase's sippy with milk.

As I approached my kitchen I knew something was wrong as there was water all over my kitchen floor. I immediately yelled, "Spencer, what did you spill?" and then I saw it: Water GUSHING from underneath my fridge. It was coming so fast, I figured something had broke in my fridge with the automatic water dispenser. I grabbed a quick hand towel (ya, like that helped) and then ran into the garage to turn off my water heater. Now, I didn't know how to turn off my water heater mind you, but I just knew I needed to get to it to try to figure it out.So I ran to my garage where the water heater is stored and that's when I saw the bigger it:

Our garage/junk room/play room floor was completely covered in a thin pool of water...and a lot of it.

I almost slipped in it, and it most definitely got the bottoms of my jeans soaked. And it had just happened too, because thirty minutes before this I was working out in the garage, the kids had been playing around me and there was no water to be seen.

Needless to say, I was frantic! I sent the kids into the living room to hang out, couldn't figure out how to turn off the dang water, so had to call my neighbor over and she helped me turn off the water at the street. Let this be a lesson to you: You MUST learn how to do this. Trust me, it's important.


Once things settled down, and Aaron got home, it was easy to figure out that it was the water heater that was broken and not a slab leak. THANK YOU for that. The water was all over my kitchen because the fridge shares a wall with the water heater in the garage. Sigh. Too bad it couldn't have been contained in one area and not two. But I'm not complaining, I'm so grateful it wasn't a slab leak. And even more grateful that I was home when this occured. Had it happened when I was gone, it would have been a nightmare.

So here we are, 24 hours later, $732 poorer...but all is well and we can all shower once again.

One of the funniest things about this experience was when I was trying to sop up the water in the kitchen and keep the water from reaching my area rug in the family room, I'd asked Spencer to bring me a towel from upstairs and QUICKLY...and he brought me a wad of toilet paper. lol Another fun thing about this was going out to Peppino's last night for dinner since I couldn't cook (ah shucks). Chicken Rustica salad: Y-U-M.


You can't see it in this picture, but there was water covering the entire ground...and there's the blasted water heater in all it's leaky glory:


The kids "playroom" carpet is toast for sure:



Letting the toys air out. It looked like a garage sale:



My kitchen:



Thank goodness for Dave Ramsey's plan to have money in savings for such emergencies, or I'd have been calling a few of you out there for a loan ;)

10 comments:

Hillary said...

Yikes! I'm glad you got it all worked out and that it was an easy fix!

Carrie said...

Wow! Ya, a big shout out to Dave Ramsey......I am glad things didn't get thrashed inside your house!

Alicia said...

Bummer about the water heater but Hallelujah for Dave Ramsey...we just read TMM and loved it!

camille said...

OK, now I feel bad that I mentioned I was having a bad day at all! I mean, compared to what happened to you...my day was just fine! I am impressed cause you really didn't complain at all. You keep inspiring me to be better, Marcy! I am so sorry that all of that happened. I thought later that you should've come over to my house to shower, eh?

L said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!!! I'm so glad you were home when it happened!

Chicken Rustica Salad is all I get at Peppino's - it is AMAZING - and now I'm craving it...

~April~ said...

Oh wow! What a day for you. I'm glad it's all fixed. And be grateful you live in CA and not WA because you would never be able to air out your toys on the driveway and expect them to dry :)

Lisa Webb said...

What a nightmare! Who is Dave Ramsey? I feel like Im missing some important information!

Brooke Wilkins said...

what a bummer! You are awesome! I am sorry that I was laughing the entire time, but I was imagining you running around frantic trying to turn the water off. I would not know what to do either!

Barbara said...

Ohmigoodness! What a nightmare is right! I am sorry you had to deal with that - espeically while the hubby was at work!

Abi said...

That totally happened to me on mothers day weekend. The kids were at the grandparents house and we were headed to the beach and as I was leaving I went into the garage and found water everywhere. It ruined our beach day for sure... (with not kids!!!) Oh well! I hope you have it all fixed by now!