Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Utah trip...



I'm back and had a great time, though it was hard to leave. I was excited to see my family of course, but I left behind in Utah--my best friend, and cutest new nephew. It's hard having Carrie be in Utah. It's been two years, and I'm still not used to it. We talk just about 2-3 times a day (thank you free long-distance), but it's not the same when you can't run over to her house whenever you want. But enough of that. We had a great time. I think I was a help to Carrie, even though she had meals brought in two nights I was there and I played a lot. She has such great friends there in her ward that take good care of her.



The first day we went on her first postpartum outing to Costa Vida for lunch (um, sweet pork anyone? YUM!!!!) and I kept her out too long and Gabe screamed the whole way home because he was hungry. Ya, I felt bad about that one. But the rest of the days were uneventful. He is such a sweet baby, and has the calmest disposition. We are so encouraged over this since my sisters other two boys cried all the live long day when they were babies. Gabe is such a sweetheart, and is SO tiny. His features are so petite and his is just too darling for words. He loves his Aunt Marcy because he smiled at me when I told him goodbye (alright, he was asleep, but whatever...) and I'm so glad I got to go.



I was able to get some shopping in, a few naps, I got 300 pages into my 1000 page book, had lunch with my Grandma Joy and cousins, took McKay to see a $1 movie, learned how to help an 8 year old with 2nd grade homework, got him up for school and made him breakfast each morning, ran into the school with wet hair to deliver him much needed library books, ate at Kneaders and Costa Vida more than once, made pizookies, watched a lot of the show "10 years younger" on TLC with Carrie and my most memorable: early Sunday morning for two hours while the rest of the house slept, I got to cuddle up with a newborn, a blanket and my book in a big cozy chair in their front room (with a huge bay window) and occasionally looked up to watch the snow fall. I couldn't believe it was snowing. I woke up to a winter-wonderland in March and so enjoyed the beauty of that morning with Gabe. Corny, but true. It was such a great morning.




Thank you so much to my husband Aaron. Seriously. You know when you get married you assume the person you are marrying will be a good father, but you never really know until he jumps into the role. And Aaron jumped into the roll and ran with it. He's so hands on, I can leave the house with no instruction and the kids are taken care of. I'm so grateful to him for taking off a few days so I could go. Man, do I love him.




Before I left, I was looking forward to a break from the chaos that can be my life at times, but I found myself missing those people who cause the chaos ;) so I'm very glad to be home. Chase has not stopped saying, "Momma, Momma" all day long (seriously, it's borderline annoying) Spencer said he likes to be home with me more than Dad (hee hee) and when Leda woke up this morning she said, "Mom, I just LOVE you and rubbed my back as we hugged. These things melt me. Just melt me. I'm so grateful for my family.

16 comments:

Kristen Lewis Jorgensen said...

Marce--you're such a great person! You really are! Glad you got to be with your best friend cause friend time is so needed sometimes! Love you!

~April~ said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time. Now you should run away to visit me. I need it. We need to chat when you have a few. *heart*

Stephanie said...

What a fun trip!
Welcome home "mom" :)

Kat said...

Ah, how fun. Gabe is so adorable. And you look so fabulous in the first picture... you can tell you really love the little guy!

The Hyer Family said...

Careful Marcy...you're sounding baby hungry!!! Sounds like a great trip...much needed and I'm sure Carrie appreciated the help...let's talk soon...

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

So have you bought your ticket yet to come be MY helper??? lol.

I already told you this, but you need a baby because that first picture of you and little Gabe is just too too adorable!

SUMMER said...

Yeah for Carrie! He is adorable and I am glad you had fun visiting. Why does Utah have some of the BEST places to eat? Oh- wanted to tell you... I found some old pictures of you and me and Emily at Girl's Camp years ago. They are CLASSIC!!! I will have to show them to you guys!

Lisa Webb said...

looks like you had an awesome trip! Congrats on the adorable new nephew! Glad your back. Lets get the kids together soon!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

That trip sounds like so much fun! I love cuddling newborns, It is the best.

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Oooh, and I noticed your new header. Fine work Sara! ;)

camille said...

OH, I just loved that post. Seriously, my eyes teared up more than a couple of times at your descriptions of sisterhood, baby, nephews, coziness, and last but not least, your welcoming commitee when you got home. I just loved that. I am so happy for your sister and her beautiful family. I'm glad your trip was fun and that you are back. I'm probably going to rub your back when I see you next, too.

Hilary said...

So glad to hear that Gabe is "mellow" so far. I remember that she had a tough time in the beginning with not being able to put her first two down without them going into panic. You look so happy in the pictures, I'm glad you were able to get away to help your sister for a few days. I LOVE when Hudson pats my back while hugging me, it's the BEST!

Hillary said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time! He's definitely a darling little guy. You are seriously one of the most amazing people I know. Carrie is one lucky sister!

Sara Decker said...

That sounds like such a fun trip, and I'm sure your sister loved every minute of it too. I can't imagine not living by my sisters. And i'm so jealous that you got to eat at Kneaders...that is my favorite place to eat.

Carrie said...

Thanks Marc for all of the help! I really did appreciate every minute you were here! I am missing you every day. Especially the first day I had to do everything by myself for the first time! AHHHHHH! This living apart really sucks!! Thanks for being my best friend! You truly are amazing! I LOVE YOU TONZ!!!!!

Roney Family said...

Looks like you had a great time. How nice you were able to be with your sister and spend time with your nephew. Looks like she is cursed with all boys just the same as I am cursed with all girls! Well, I have one boy, but Reagan seems to curse us with girls!