Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tagged!

Typical Time of wake-up? Depends on Chase as my other kids are excellent "sleeper-inners"...usually between 7-7:30ish. (Shannon, don't curse at me--it's not nice ;)

On a good night when do your kids go to sleep? Every night is a good night for us, as we have established a pretty strict bedtime routine. No monkey-business-Aaron and I need our time! Chase is in bed 7-7:30, Leda 7:30 and Spencer after a one on one game with either mom or dad (sometimes both) around 8ish.

How long have you been a momma? 5 years, 23 days and counting!

Favorite kid's show? Dora (lame, I know) or Blue's Clues

Least favorite kid's show? Caillou---he's way too whiny-but I do like the fact that the dad doesn't have a job and stays home all day with the mom. That'd be cool---if we could still afford to live and all. lol

Favorite chore? Just picking up. I like putting away toys and making the place presentable again.

Least favorite chore? The dishwasher (Shannon, again don't curse) but I can't stand emptying it. Maybe cause I do it everyday and the kids cups and bowls always shift and they are filled with gross water? I just despise it. I know I should be grateful for my dishwasher, and I am (yes, Shannon, I hear you :), I just wish a dishwasher could empty itself. I sometimes even put it off until right before dinner. Which is a total disaster as dishes from the day have stacked in the sink, but some mornings I can't bring myself to do it! lol

Meal you cook most often: Salmon and rice. Weird, I know, but it's healthy and my kids INHALE it. It's my meal when I really want a quiet dinner. The kids won't complain and we eat in peace! Amazing!

Kids favorite meal:
Spencer: Salmon and rice
Leda: chicken nuggets
Chase: anything he can dip. It's my way to get him to eat anything. I always give him a side of ranch/ketchup. Messy? yes...but it does the trick.

Oh and they all LOVE fruit. Can't get enough. Any kind of fruit will do, but particularly blueberries.

5 Things that make you smile about being a mom:

  1. When my kids show love for each other and aren't fighting.
  2. Spencer's smile when we play a game one on one each night before bed (without the disruption of his siblings)
  3. Leda when she grabs my cheeks and pulls me in for a kiss saying, "I just LOVE you mom!"
  4. Hearing Chase scream, "Momma! Momma" whenever I leave the house. He is SUCH a mommas boy, and always fine right after I leave of course, but hearing him profess his love for me in tears (the only way he can right now) it just warms my heart. Weird, I know :)
  5. When they are safe and asleep quietly in their beds!
Favorite thing your husband does with your kids: When he makes them laugh by doing silly dances, puts them on top of his shoulders and runs around the house, and when he sings to them each night before bed: "I am a Child of God", "I love to see the Temple" and "There is a Green Hill far away" (all verses!) are his specialities. Not joking.

Last time you went out with no kids: This afternoon for Kindergarten roundup. I dropped them off at my moms house and enjoyed 1.5 hours to myself (well, with a ton of other K-moms) and toured the K classrooms. SO cute! I can't believe Spencer's going to Kindergarten! sniff sniff.

If you could take your kids anywhere where would it be? Lake Tahoe. I want them to experience a vacation there like I did growing up. Camping on the sandy beach, hikes, and river rafting. Some of my best childhood memories were made in Tahoe. Now if we could just afford to do it with our little family! Sigh. Someday!

Favorite pastime/activity with your kids: The park is always fun with all of them, but a park with no swings. Swinging three of them simultaneously, or making sure Chase doesn't walk in front and get clocked is tricky! lol I love playing games with Spencer, I love doing makeup with Leda (she loves to watch me and wants to "share" my stuff) and I love it when Chase just wants to be held and loved.

One thing your mom did that you do now: Saying "I love you" whenever we leave each other. It's the last thing we say after we say goodbye.

Favorite kids book: "Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day"

Best advice for a new mom: If it's your first: sleep when the baby sleeps. If it's not your first: good luck to you...just push through!

Scariest or most heart-breaking moment as a mom: With Spencer, when he had surgery at 18 months old to repair a birth defect on his ear (accessory tragus). When they took him from me to take him into surgery---I thought my heart would break. Also, with Leda when she was admitted to CHOC hospital at five days old and they didn't know what was wrong with her for two entire days. It was awful. Oh, it was a nasty UTI btw and after a week in the hospital, she was fine!

Most joyful moment as a mom: Not that I love Leda more than my other kids ;) but I specifically remember a time when Leda was a few days old. It was late at night, Aaron and I were watching a movie in bed, and she was between us. I was totally overcome with this powerful feeling of love, joy, gratitude for family, and just knew that Leda was special and meant for our family. The moment really came out of nowhere, actually at that moment I was feeling the postpartum achy and cruddiness...but anyway, it was that particular moment that helped me through the next week with Leda in the hospital and not knowing what was wrong. Deep down I knew she'd be okay, even though doctors didn't really know at first what was going on.

Last time your child told you he loved you: Tonight before bed. Leda especially won't let you leave her room until we've ALL said, "I love you; see you in the morning"

Last time you told your children you loved them: Tonight. I just can't leave their rooms without saying it.

I tag: Specifically, I tag Shannon, my SIL Lindsey and Camille. But if you want to do this, please do!

6 comments:

Hillary said...

I loved reading your answers! You guys are such an amazing family!

Erin said...

Hey, what do you put on your salmon to make it yummy? My kids love salmon, but I like to make it in interesting ways (my favorite is a marinade that makes it taste like candy). Do you have any salmon secrets? By the way, that was fun to read!

Marcy said...

Erin, we make it two ways:

1-Our favorite: a bit of olive oil on top of the salmon, and completely coat the top with Mrs. Dash. It's salt free-and full of spices. We like spicy, the kids like regular. Anyway, if you put a lot on top, it gets crunchy, but without the carbs! lol

2-The other way is the way my MIL taught me. Wrap each filet in it's own tin foil. Drop a lidfull of lemon juice in each and shake some lemon-pepper on the top. Make a tent with the tin foil and it steams it while it bakes.

I cook both at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes. We do #1 more than #1, but they are both delish!

What's your recipe? I've never made it sweet!

Marcy said...

I meant to say that we do #1 more than #2...

and when I say coat the top with Mrs. Dash, I mean DUMP! We love spice and the more that's on there, the yummier it is! Spencer loves it this way.

Erin said...

Thanks for the ideas! I'll use them soon.

Here's my recipe:
Salmon Marinade
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Cut filet(s) into 1 inch strips. Marinate for 3-4 hours. Put salmon in a foil-lined 9x13 pan (throw the marinade away) and cook at 350 for 20 minutes. The skin will stay on the foil when you pick up the salmon. Yummy!

Kat said...

Marcy, you're so cute. You are such a fabulous mom!