Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Spencer's pirate birthday weekend...

This year instead of a big birthday party with all his friends, I'm taking him to Utah next week to play in the snow with his cousins. Just a mom/son trip for four days (while Dad stays home with Chase and Leda) and we're so excited! But I still wanted to do something to celebrate this milestone, so this past Saturday we had his best friend over (Garrick Foth) along with Grandma and Grandpa and we hit McDonald's for lunch, saw the Veggie Tale movie "The Pirates who don't do anything"and then came home to a pirate cake and opened some presents. It was a great day---full of his three favorite things: friends, family and pirates---ARGH!

A few years ago Spencer one day just decided he loved pirates. I'm not sure how it started or exactly when, but I know it's been about two years and he can't get enough of them. Funny thing is, he's never seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movie all the way through (he's seen the first 30 minutes) but he's totally obsessed with Captain Jack Sparrow and he can prove his obsession as he's dressed as him the past two Halloweens. He loves to play dress up with all his pirate stuff almost everyday and we have swords galore and pirate ships (five to be exact) all over our house to prove his devotion. I was so excited to learn about this new Veggie Tale movie that came out at the perfect time to be seen for his birthday! It actually was a really cute show and we had a ton of fun. Even Leda sat through it. Thanks grandma for staying home with Chase!

I've never been one to make cakes for my kids. I'm not a baker, and VONS makes perfectly good ones ;)...but this year Spencer really wanted a pirate ship cake, so I did it for him. I'm so happy with how it turned out! I followed a picture I found online, but Aaron says mine is cuter. lol

The evening of his birthday (last night) we took him to Chuck E. Cheese as a family. We had a great time. Overall I think he had an awesome few days of birthday fun. He has seriously been wanting to turn five since he turned four as he's so excited to be big like his cousin McKay and he can't wait to start Kindergarten. This is such a fun age---I just LOVE it!



Spencer and Garrick before the show. I asked them to turn and smile and they grabbed each other in a big bearhug. So cute!

Spencer with his pirate cake!
Grandma and Grandpa helping him celebrate with a cool pirate book!

Mom and Spencer at Chuck E. Cheese (they gave us the #5 at random to put on our table to wait for the pizza, and Spencer was thrilled that they gave him this number purposely in honor of his birthday, lol)
Chuck E. Cheese fun...

A close up of the pirate cake I made:

McDonald's before the show

10 comments:

Hilary said...

Great job on the cake Marc!! So impressed :) Hope you have a wonderful time in Utah, give Carrie a big hug from me

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Marcy- Spencer is SO so cute; I just can't get over it. I love his big smile. What a fun day!

Erin said...

What an impressive cake. I'm seriously blown away. And it really looks like you had fun family time together too. We'll have to go check out the pirate movie too, since we're obsessed around here with pirates too!

Hillary said...

You did a GREAT job on that cake! Forget Vons; you rock!

Ryan said...

Fun! Hey, make sure you come see us when you're over here. We've got four boys who also love pirates and they'd love to play. We crank the Pirates soundtrack and they run around the house like madmen. Bring Carrie and family.

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday Spencer!! I know I told you this before Marc, but the cake is beautiful! I know that Spencer really loved it. He is so lucky to have a creative mom like you! And the pictures of him as a baby made me cry. Thanks a lot you big turd!!

Roney Family said...

I forgot to ask you what school Spencer will be going to??? I wonder if it's the same and Madison?

Rob Judd said...

it looks like he had so much fun and what a cute cake! I love it. That sounds like so much fun that you get to go to Utah with just your son! How fun, he's going to love that!

Marcy said...

Ahh, thanks so much everyone, way to make a mom feel good! :)

Patience-Spencer will be going to Don Juan. Is that the same as Madison? I've been told by my neighbors that he will be in the PM kindergarten since they assign either am/pm based on neighborhoods and I guess next year we are due for the pm time slot.

I'm emotional about my oldest going to school. As you know, I've never had to entrust my children to anyone elses care other than my own and Grandma---since they go to Grandma's preschool right now. This will be a big change for us. I can't believe he's old enough to go to K! He's so excited that I'll get to walk him to school each day. This age is so fun as they are very excited about the little things. I love that about him right now.

Lisa Webb said...

that is an awesome cake you made!