Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley's passing.


When I first heard (my mom called after she saw it on breaking news on TV in UT-she's there visting my sister) I was sad initially, then I felt so much joy for him to be reunited with his sweetheart.
Have any of you read the book entitled "Letters" by Margorie Pay Hinckley? It is so sweet and was such a tribute to the life they created together and the love they shared. Since her passing, he's mentioned many times of missing her and being terribly lonely. My heart really does feel happy to know they are reunited.

Then I read a news story of his life and saw a picture of him on the news and that's when my tears flowed. It's the end of an incredible era. He was my prophet for most of my life---at such an important time of my growing years. He has had a profound affect on me as a person and as a member of the church. Someone in the news (was it Senator Hatch?) mentioned something about his "wit and wisdom" and these two words are exactly what I think of when I hear the name Gordon B. Hinckley. My heart really does ache for such a loss, but so grateful to him for his service and that he can finally have the ultimate reward for his labors. Can you even imagine what kind of a reunion he's experiencing now? Not only with his wife, but his parents, grandparents, siblings, prophets of old and of course our Savior? Aaron and I talked all about this last night and what a joyous reunion he must be having. What a wonderful day for him. How I love President Hinckley and am so grateful he was my prophet for so long.


0 comments: