Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Pillow talk with my 2.5 year old

Leda can be quite the stinker lately with bedtime. We'll put her to bed, and she'll be up 2-3 times before midnight crying for no real reason. Well, actually she was recently diagnosed with asthma so sometimes she has a reason as it's an asthmatic cough that wakes her, and other times (like tonight) it's just to be a stinker and test our every bit of patience as parents.

After she'd been "asleep" for about 20 minutes she began her first fit. After a few of those fits, Aaron went in once to calm her and it seemed to work because we hadn't heard her for about a half an hour. But then it started up again. We knew that she hadn't been coughing and I knew she was tired (no nap today) so normally I'd ignore her and let her cry it out, but for some reason I went in there just now to try to calm her again. I did this partly for her and mostly to keep from disrupting the boys sleeping peacefully in the next room. Well, I'm so glad I went in because she'd worked herself up so much she'd actually puked a bit all over her princess blanket and nightgown. Lovely. So after cleaning up the puke, getting new jammies, re-tucking her in with all seventy-two of her stuffed animals, this was our conversation:

Mom: “Leda, do not cry. Please go to sleep---no crying, okay?”
Leda: “Okay mom. Mom, Jesus loves me”
Mom: “Yes Leda, Jesus loves you”
Leda: “Mom, I love Baja Fish Tacos”
Mom: “I know you do Leda, goodnight”
Leda: “Mom, I like a drink with my fish tacos”
Mom: “Leda I know. It’s time for nigh-night now”
Leda: “Mom, Jesus loves me”
Mom: “Yes Leda, Jesus loves you”
Leda: “And Jesus loves Chase too”
Mom: “Yes, Jesus does love Chase”
Leda: “Okay, goodnight Mom”
Mom: “Goodnight Leda”
Leda" "Love (sounds like "wuv") you"
Mom: "I love you too"

Isn't being a parent the best?

8 comments:

Hillary said...

Ha ha, Marcy, that is hysterical! Baja fish tacos...How random! Too funny!

~April~ said...

That is so sweet! Kids are great!

Tracy said...

That's really cute (to read after the fact, but probably not so much at the moment, eh?)
BTW- I love your new blog page! Did Aaron help you or did you come up with it alone?

Emily said...

HI! I love your new design!! I almost used this one on mine the other day! Luv it!! Ok, that is soo dang cute..Leda!! That sweet little naughty girl! ;) he he. Let's meet up at Baja Fish Tacos soon!! I feel so priviledged to be on your family/friends list now!!

Marcy said...

Tracy-it was a free download from pyzam. Really easy to find and I didn't have to do a thing! And yes, Aaron approves. lol

Em-I didn't have you on my list of friends because of the private thing. I had you on my list of favorites on my laptop. But then I got tired of going to two places and added you. lol! Did you get my message? Let me know if not and I'll get you his number!

Sara Decker said...

That is so cute, and that is why being a mom is great. Even if those moments are few and far between. I say you lay with her every night and give us her nightly thoughts...they are too cute.

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Marcy that cracked me up. It reminded me of a prayer that Tyler said recently that included being thankful for things such as "Toy Story, Bunnies, and the letter "W". Kids are so funny!

Barbara said...

Hi Marcy, I saw your blog on Sara Decker's. I'm sorry for not calling you back about the quiche. I was out of town for 2 weeks for the holidays and my son has been sick ever since we got back. I have had multiple people ask me for this recipe, so I will just post it on my blog. Enjoy!