.jpg)
Okay, not to get all dramatic over a recipe, but if you like a bit of spice and want a SUPER easy chicken dish with a Mexican flare---you MUST MUST MUST try this one! Holy cow was it ever good! SO easy, healthy, and a huge hit in our home last night. It was a bit spicy for Chase, but Spencer and Leda asked for seconds. Aaron kept saying it tasted like a restaurant meal (ah, shucks!) and we just can't say enough about it! It has the perfect blend of spice (we LOVE spice, but it's not too much, don't worry) and sweet (with the red onion and lime juice).
I recently subscribed to Food Everyday Magazine (and bought a subscription for basically everyone in my family for Christmas) and I've been loving the recipes in it. This one came from January's issue. My sister first raved about this recipe, so I knew I had to try it and I'm so glad I did!
At first the kids wouldn't touch the relish on top, but after I told them that avocado and onions were Carter and McKay's (my sisters boys) favorites (yes, I lied) Spencer said he'd try some and ended up loving it. hee hee. So of course Leda had to try because Spencer did (you know how that goes) and we couldn't believe how fast our kids were eating avocado (not in guac form) and red onions! lol
Yes, Aaron was laughing at me for taking this picture, but I love having pictures to go along with recipes, so laugh if he must...here it is!
CAYENNE-RUBBED CHICKEN WITH AVOCADO SALSA
(prep time 10 min. total time 30 min. serves 4)
Ingredients:
course salt and ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces ea)
2 T olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 T fresh lime juice (I used bottled)
1 Hass avocado, pitted and cut into chunks
Directions:
- In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, rub all over chicken (both sides).
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chicken and cook until browned on the outside and opaque throughout, 8-10 min. per side.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine onion and lime juice, set aside. Just before serving, fold avocado chunks into the onion mixture; season with salt and pepper. Serve chicken topped with salsa.
See how EASY this is???? To make the chicken easier to cook in a skillet (and instead of pounding it) I decided to butterfly cut my chicken breasts. It cooked faster this way (only 8 min. each side) and I like the chicken thin like that. I also ran short of the rub (I guess my chicken was a bit big) so I just added a bit more than it called for and it turned out perfect.
And while we're on the subject of healthy, yummy food, I have been making the best salad for lunches. I got the simple recipe from watching Giada (Everyday Italian-the food network). It's so good that I've honestly had it every single day this week for lunch. You just cut up romaine lettuce, add a handful of cannellini beans from the can, a bit of shredded Parmesan cheese (I buy the big old container from Costco), slice up some red onion, and drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice (I use bottled-not fresh since I don't always have fresh lemons on hand), salt and fresh ground pepper. That's IT! It tastes soo great and is surprisingly filling!
Okay enough of my rambling...let me know if you try the cayenne-chicken recipe, Okay? :)
5 comments:
This looks so incredibly good! I want to try it this sunday!
I so love you you gals! I have so many new yummy recipes to try, and this one just went to the top of the list. That looks so yummy. I can't wait!
Um, I'm salivating! Totally trying that one!
We just tried it for lunch today, and it was delish! Really good, and totally easy!
OK- I am going to try this and can't wait!!! Brooke said she made it and it was amazing! Your picture of it seems alot prettier than mine will probably turn out!!!
Post a Comment