So on my way home from killing time at the mall, the transmission blew on our minivan. I was driving up a hill (on Oso) and all of a sudden I heard the RPMs rev up on my van but nothing was happening as I pushed my foot to the gas pedal. SOO scary when there are crazy california drivers going fast all around you and you can barely make the car move---nevermind three little lives you're responsible for in the backseat! I made my way over to the right hand side of the road (I didn't cry-lol) to call Aaron. Then I placed the call to my mechanic (yes, sadly I have Tim's number memorized) and he walked me through how to get home. I drove home in the bike lanes going no more than 20 MPH. Luckily my van allowed me to go at least that speed--but it took us almost 30 minutes to get home! With a bunch of prayers, we all arrived home safely, I threw the kids in bed for naps and began my phone calls. I've seriously been on the phone for almost 2 hours straight setting up a rental car (so much for a moms "break" today), coordinating towing and talking with Tim. To sum up, thank heavens for AAA and free towing---my van is now at Tim's Auto and will be looked at in the next few days.
Now comes the choice: Do we replace the transmission in a 97 Dodge grand caravan or put that money towards a newer used car? A brand new van is out of the question for the McLendon family budget. That's for dang sure!
Oh, and my mother in law (LOVE her) is coming into town tonight at 6:45---so I'm trying to get a rental before then. The kids were so looking forward to picking up Grandma from the airport and going to dinner, I hope we can still swing it. Too bad this family of five can't fit in Aarons car. DUMB cars! GRRRR!
Meanwhile, I'll be looking for a money tree....or a minivan tree. Let me know if you find one!
On a cute note, Leda could sense I was stressed as I was driving home and said, "What's wrong mommy?" I said, "Oh, mommy's car is broken" and she said, "Oh Mommy, I'm so sorry!" in this sweet little voice you'd had to have been there to hear. Melted my heart for sure...
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Stupid van!!!
Posted by Marcy at 3:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Oh Man! What a pain. Hopefully Tim can fix it without too much expense.
Sucks...excuse my language...but there's no other way to put it...tough decision...
Well, Marcy, I have a lovely Dodge Ram truck, circa 1994 parked at the Stake Center you're always welcome to use...uh, you can't take all the kids with you though. But you can just bungee cord the kids down in the back of the truck and your mother-in-law (who really is sweet to come see you in the play) can sit in the front with you. Hey, maybe just put the older two in the back. Wait--try this one: make Aaron drive the truck and then you can drive his car.
I'm sorry, Marcy! I think your decision depends on how much it will cost to replace the transmission and how much the value of your van is. Try going to kbb.com to see what the value is first, and then I think that will help you make your decision! Good luck! Car troubles are the worst!!
That's no fun. I'm so sorry. But at least you guys made it home ok! Hope things can get back to normal quickly.
You know I'm thinking about you. Did you get a rental? Did you decide yet about trying to get a new one or just fix the old beast... hee hee. I've been thinking about you all day. Hugs!
What a frustration! And with three kids too. Wow. And you didn't cry. I would have lost my marbles! Good luck figuring things out! Oh, and isn't Aaron from Montana? Christian is applying for a job (among his 30 job applications) at the university in Bozeman. Cold!
Marcy, that SUCKS!! And I know how busy you've been. Somehow it will all work out, but that's no fun in the meantime!
Hey Marcy,
That stinks, big time! We're facing the same problem with our '97 van. We're going to have to get a new, or rather used car. Tucker's brother-in-law gets used cars straight from the auction if you're interested.
so sorry to hear this! I can only imagine being on Oso and having your car die. Lame, lame, lame! Let me know if you need any rides anywhere, eh? I wish I knew a good answer to your problem. I'm so sorry!
You are awesome! Everything about you...I love! Thanks for saying such nice things to me...I loved it!
Ughhh...that sucks! Merry Christmas! Bahh Hum Bug! Get a newer car!! Buy my nice clean 4Runner. he he. 11,5000 - totally affordable!! ; )
Post a Comment