Saturday, April 7, 2012

Impromptu Date night

Yesterday I found out my parents were going to have two extra tickets to the Temple Square Chorale & Orchestra (Easter) Concert up in Salt Lake City...so a quick call to Aaron who was in Dallas for work showed that his plane would land at just the right time to meet us up there to attend. Yahoo!

It had snowed this morning, but was a crisp, clear night on the grounds--looking so good! (as did my husband who had been MIA all week)


Cute parents

I had to stop and smell the roses for my mother-in-law...



The Concert was beautiful. Half of it Requiem, op 9 (sounded as though we were attending a different church entirely with the chants, which my organist Father appreciated) and the second half was a "Reflections on Easter" where the choir sung familiar songs like Christ the Lord is Risen & other familiars.

But honestly (if anyone is reading this blog, really) the ONE song that stood out above all others was  one we'd never heard before. And I think I cried through the entire thing. We all agreed that the way the choir & orchestra performed this song was truly something inspiring. I wish I could have sat there & hit repeat again and again. It was that amazing and I'm so glad to have heard it this Easter Season.

"As I Have Done for You (Holy Thursday)" by Daniel Schutte was the song that moved us so much.  Here is a youtube video of it. The clip isn't nearly as beautiful as the choir/orchestra combo last night, but the words you can hear clearly here with this soloist and it's just so touching! It's not an LDS song, so wasn't one I was familiar with and simple said, these lyrics are just beautiful. Especially these two:

This is my commandment, to love as I have loved you.
Kneel to wash each other's feet as I have done for you.

Find the song here:

AS I HAVE DONE FOR YOU

After the concert we said goodbye to my folks and headed across the street to that new mall City Creek...here's Aaron a little less than thrilled to pose (eyes shut and all) but I'll take it.



We window shopped and then hit the Lion House bakery for dessert (ice cream, lime bundt cake, assorted cake bites, orange roll & key lime soda---we don't mess around)...and ate it all warm and cozy in Aaron's car, in underground parking, while listening to a podcast.
What? You don't sit in underground parking with desserts all across your laps listening to a podcast with your husband? Too bad for you.

Yay for Impromptu date night AND to having a husband back in town! Doesn't get much better than that.

0 comments: