Friday, April 27, 2012

Broken??!

So a few nights ago Leda happily ran outside the front door to hop in Uncle Rocky's car to go have a playdate at Aunt Kiki's house. Not 30 seconds later, Spencer comes running inside to tell me that Leda tripped and she's screaming.

Leda hurt and screaming is NOT abnormal. I never come running when she cries because, well...she cries over most everything. Not kidding. Aaron and I have talked at length about how we need to toughen her up. And it's a fine line: you want to give them sympathy when they're hurting of course...but where do you draw the line when one seems to cry over most everything? These were my inner thoughts as I walked outside to her aide. Now I'll feel guilty for those thoughts. Sigh.

Anyway, she was hurting, Rocky & I tried to convince her to "walk it off" and we honestly figured it was a sprain. How disappointing for her because the highly anticipated First Grade field trip, on a bus, to Hogle Zoo was the very next day. She was heartbroken. So as the "sprained ankle" began to swell and we iced it all night, I told her over and over we'd make it a great day the next day. Which meant we'd hit a matinee & have popcorn. She seemed okay with that.

So the next morning, I noticed she still wouldn't put pressure on her ankle. And my friend Heather (an Athletic occupational therapist) offered to come over and wrap her ankle up tight for me. Yay for awesome next door neighbors! Upon inspection, she did a few tests and recommended I go get an x-ray. So after our super fun matinee date (Mirror, Mirror) to make up for the lost zoo trip, we hit up the urgent care to see our other friend Mike. I have friends in high places! And boy has it come in handy. We've been in good care.

Mike ran a few X-rays for us. Chase was his eager assistant.




Then we got to take a closer look! Where it was determined it was a break. She has a Salter Harris 2 fracture across her growth plate in her ankle. All from tripping over a scooter that was laying down in the grass. Really? Ack!


After confirming this news with two other docs, & then talking to Aaron at work, we opted to fit her for a boot with crutches. We return in 10 days to re-X-ray to make sure it's healing. If it looks good, it'll be a boot for another 4 weeks. If it isn't healing up right, a cast it is! Leda has already informed me it'll be pink. But we are ALL crossing our fingers that a cast won't happen.


Here is her new "ride" up and down stairs when Daddy is home....



And I know I'm her mother, but she makes crutches look cute! Too bad they kill her arms and she's in tears using them. But we're pushing through.



Things could always be worse, and this too shall pass! Today after our first full day on crutches and me tending to her, she was SO sweet and created this little gift for me. A handmade card and a bunch of random things she'd collected from my craft basket. Made me smile!



Love this little drama mama. Who had EVERY right to be dramatic! I'm kicking myself for minimizing her pain :(



0 comments: