A few weeks ago, it was Leda's turn to stay at Grandma and Grandpa's house for a sleepover. They pretty routinely take turns with the kids like this. So this time it was Leda's turn and well, one night turned into two...and two turned into three...that's just how Gma & Gpa roll---they're so cool like that!
So on the day (Saturday) that Leda was to return home, she was VERY vocal about the fact that she was NOT going to be coming home. She was ready to pack her bags and move into her Grandparents house for good. Grandma was way more fun than Mom, so I was told.
Hearing all this brought back a flood of memories for me. Such good, good memories.
My Grandma Leda provided the best EVER sleepovers. Home cooked meals with cooked carrots & basil butter, cuddling on the couch together to watch the latest episode of Wheel of Fortune, endless trips to the candy cupboard, upstairs to take a bubble baths in her ginormous tub where she'd let me stay in until I got all pruney, then a trip to her nightgown drawer where I'd borrow one of her soft floral nightgowns that she'd carefully tie up at the bottom so it wouldn't drag on the floor; then getting tucked into a clean, crisp queen bed all to myself, but not before a bowl of frozen grapes and a smothering of hugs and kisses that only a Grandma can lay on thick and good. Oh what sweet memories! I am a better person because of the unconditional love I felt from my Grandparents. And yes, I got misty writing that paragraph, oh how I miss my Grandma & Grandpa Duncombe, and wish they'd lived long enough to meet my children. Sigh.
Isn't this such a beautiful picture of my Grandma Leda in her 20s?.jpg)
So you can see why these days I'm so grateful to my parents for being hands-on and for creating these types of memories now for my children. And I know that if Aaron's folks in MT lived closer they'd do the same. Having good grandparents means so much!
So now here we are at the Saturday evening when Leda was to come home from her extended stay and the following is what down: (and yes, I had my camera because it was sitting right by my front door so I opted to take some shots because it was so funny)
The stand off: "I'm NOT getting out of this car, Mom!"
The hand: "Don't look at me because I'm not here, I'm not coming inside!" her words, seriously.
And then this is where I should have put down the camera because it turns sad, but I took two more shots so I might as well finish the story.
The pout: She was ignoring me here, so upset to be home.
And finally, the meltdown after admitting defeat:
And while that last shot breaks my heart, it also shows the clear love she has for her grandparents and their love for her. And I LOVE that!
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Grandparents & sleepovers
Posted by Marcy at 9:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I always love your posts--that was the best! And yes, you had to take pics because it was hilarious! Isn't anyone more fun than mom these days? My fav was the one with her giving you the hand...in case you've forgotten, your parents are awesome.
This post made me cry, and now I have a headach which I can do NOTHING about. Thanks a lot, punk! Of course the first reason why it made me cry was because just last night, I was flippin through channels and stopped when I saw Jeapordy. I don't especially like Jeapordy (mainly because it makes me feel stupid because I can't answer a darn question), but I HAD to turn to it and watch it because that is what grandma and I use to do when I had sleepovers. We'd watch Wheel of Fortune and then Jeapordy. And Oh! The grapes! I loved those grapes! And the bell she gave us to ring whenever we needed anything, as if we were playing hotel and she was room service! I still have grandma's nightgown and sleep in it in the summer... the same nightgown I use to sleep in when I was a kid when she let us go "shopping" in her drawer. I miss her terribly. She was such an awesome grandma. The next reason is that my kids don't get the privilage to have sleepovers and that makes me so sad. I want them to create the same memories we created with Grandma. Darn Utah! So glad she had a good time. But really, did you expect anything less from mom??!!
I waited a very long time to be a Mom . . .not by choice. That experience continues to be the sweetest experience in the whole entire world!
However, being a Grandma . . well . .it is a gift . . .a precious gift
Should have kept Leda for another 3 days . . .
Aw, what a sweet story... poor Leda. Good thing your parents live so close. Can you imagine trying to make her come home then?
What a sweet post! I love that we both love our Grandmas so much and have named our daughters after them. I'm sure your Grandma Leda has looked down and seen your cute kids. You are a great mom, Marcy and have a wonderful family. Your Leda is ADORABLE!
Post a Comment