Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Sad day" for Spencer


One thing you should know about Spencer---he hardly ever cries. Whenever we hear him cry, we know to come running because he must be terribly hurt.

He's just a tough kid.

So when he came to me this morning with tears in his eyes saying he wanted to have an "absent" day today, it had me concerned.

After many questions, I determined that nothing profound had happened last week to keep him from wanting to go to school, he just simply wanted to stay home. And I know having an absent day from Kindergarten every once in a while isn't a bad thing...

BUT (he doesn't know this part yet)

he's flying to Utah next week with Grandma to go see his cousins for six days...so you see, he can't have an absent day this week. He needs to save them. (We can't wait to surprise him!)

So instead of granting him his wish of absence, we spent a few minutes snuggling in bed (fully dressed for our day) talking about how much fun it'd be to stay in bed all day and not do our work (his work: school, my work: laundry, his siblings) and just have the pizza guy deliver us pizza right to our bed. Maybe one day we'll have to do just that. But for today we decided that he should go get smarter and I should do his laundry so that his friends don't call him "Stinky Spencer" (he thought me quite hilarious for coming up with that one)

So me and the troops walked Spencer to school (all the while tears streaming down his face) where I told Mrs. Brown he was having a "sad day" (his words, not mine) and I kissed his little face and told him I loved him. I watched him walk away with his classmates all the while waving, exchanging blow kisses and thumbs up signs.

It just about broke my heart and the lump in my throat is still here. Being a Mom is not for the weak.

Today when he comes home (in just 2.5 hours) I plan to have a treat waiting for him. I love that on the cusp of turning six, he can admit (quietly) that he still needs his Mommy. And this makes me feel so good, cause man alive, do I ever need him.

16 comments:

Carrie said...

I am so sorry Spencer is having a "sad day". The treat and Spaghetti Factory tonight will soothe his poor little soul. I remember those days, heck, I STILL have those days! But it makes it even worse having to go to school! Cheer up buddy! Aunt Kiki LOVES you!

Brooke Wilkins said...

that is so cute! I love it! I have "sad days" sometimes. I love his cute little face

Elizabeth said...

okay so you just made me cry! that was so cute and so sad, I love how he still wants to be around you like that! How fun for him that he gets to go with Grandma to Utah! Your mom is amazing, seriously!!!

Hillary said...

That would have broken my heart, too! Kyrie is 7 and still has those days. Here's for a "happy day" tomorrow! And how fun for him to go on a trip next week!!

Lisa Webb said...

oh the sweetest story EVER! I hope he feels better!

Aubrey Messick said...

I think that is just the sweetest thing. I hope the treat you made him really cheered him up. What a cutie!!!

L said...

Aww... the poor thing... You are such a good mom Marcy!

camille said...

Sooooooooo sweet. My eyes are full of tears. I totally know what you mean. You are such a great mom. He is so lucky!!

The Hyer Family said...

Your mom rocks to take Spencer on a special trip...yeah, I think we all know how Spencer feels...sometimes you just can't face the day!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Aw Marcy, what a sweet post. And yeah, motherhood isn't for the weak-hearted (or weak-stomached for that matter).

Crystel said...

That is a sweet story and I'm proud of you for encouraging him to keep on going. It really is hard to do!

Mom D said...

Marcy you are the best Mommy! However, selfishly . . .I can't wait for my one on one time with Spencer next week . . .so hard when my Grandbabies are sad . . .but hold on Spencer. We are gong to have so much fun next week.

Kim Messick said...

I love that story! You are such a good Mom! It is so hard to watch our kids be sad or hurt or scared and then let them continue on as if we don't hurt for them too!

Barbara said...

Marcy, this post brought me to tears. I have had a rough day, and reading this reminded me just how important and special being a mom is. You are an example to me and I hope that one day when Kaden tells me he is having a sad day, I can make him feel as special as you made Spencer. I can't wait to hear about how he reacts to his fun surprise next week!!

Amanda P. said...

Oh, I loved your post Marcy! You're a great mom.

Marcie said...

You are such a sweet mommy!