Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I don't clip fingernails.



I just can't. I can do my own of course, but cannot do my kids.

Silly as it sounds, it makes me crazy nervous. Sweaty palms nervous.

The role of "nail clipper" will just never be mine, and this was established 5.5 years ago when Spencer was a newborn and I pinched his skin by accident and made him bleed and cry. From that point on, I stepped down and it's been on Aaron ever since.

And Aaron doesn't let me live this down. Each time he clips their nails, I am teased relentlessly. I even make sure he clips their nails before he leaves town on long business trips.



So since there isn't anything else blog-worthy going on, I'm choosing to share this private information with you and throwing this question out into cyberspace to see if I'm not alone here:

Does anyone else get nervous clipping their kids nails and actually shirk the responsibility like I do?

Come on. You can admit it. Make me feel better. I mean, NOT wanting to inflict pain on my children is a noble thing, right? I'm not that strange...right?

14 comments:

camille said...

Ha ha! I actually happen to be the complete opposite. I am not as nice as you, Marcy. I HAVE TO, under any circumstances, clip my kids nails like every 5 days. I think I'm OCD!!! I have been known to sit on them so that they don't move. I totally get the nervous thing. I used to be that way, but the OCD took over and now I just don't care. If you ever need me to, I will come over and sit on your children and clip some nails. ha ha ;)

The Hyer Family said...

I'm not OCD like your previous commenter, but I have certainly sat on Lauren to clip her nails--literally pinned her down...I actually don't mind...not to boast, but I've never found it that hard--guess I'm skilled!

Tracy said...

I like clipping my kids' nails too. I don't like it when James does it because he doesn't get them short enough. I like to get them as short as I can without making them bleed. I've also been known to be a little bit OCD.

To answer your books question: Have you looked at the books on my shelfari bookshelf on my website? Those are a list of some of my favourite books of all time. I would recommend any of those and as far as I can remember they are clean. Good Luck reading!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Lol, I have a friend who was so crazy about nail cutting, she never once cut her baby's nails until another friend of mine couldn't stand it and cut them while babysitting when the kid was 1 1/2! They were so freaking long!

Hillary said...

I'm the same way you are when they're newborns. But I have no problem clipping them once they're a bit bigger.

Hilary said...

I used to only do Hudson's when he was asleep, but then I stopped rocking him to sleep (you probably saw the blog posting with me clipping them while he slept??). I went into a panic thinking I would never again be able to clip his nails. I put him in front of a show though and he sits like an angel for me while I clip away! No accidents yet, knock on wood!!

Jen said...

I'm another one who hates it! J does a FAR better job than I do.

The Glitter Sisters said...

Marcy, I did the same thing when Autumn was a newborn...I accidently clipped some of her skin and felt like the worst mom ever! Autumn seems to remember it too because she doesn't let me clip them. Somehow they are magically shorter when she wakes up in the morning though, lol.

L said...

Yikes... the thought of clipping nails too short creeps me out!!! I'm definitely going to be a wreck when I have to do it to my baby!

PJ and Julie said...

I thought about this post of yours for the past 2 days as I've had to stare at the nails on the boys and panic when thinking about the job ahead. PJ took one twin and I took another, and I spent at least 10 min longer than he did cause I was so stressed. I can tell this is not something that I will look forward to, and hopefully I can convince PJ that it is his job just like you did Aaron!

Alee and Brandon said...

Oh...I'm with you on the HATING clipping them. And I remember snipping poor Andy's skin and feeling awful! If he wasn't so WIGGLY maybe it'd be easier;) I'll tell myself that...

Abi said...

I am scared to clip Treys nails because he is a newborn and their skin is attached to the nail still. But, I like to clip my kids nails. When they are squirmy it bothers me. But, I was watching some thing on TV last night that people have all kinds of fears like fears of elbows, and other stuff. I think you are normal!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

I actually just got done cutting Adele's nails. I just push down on the finger tip to move it before I cut. I have drawn blood a time or 2 but I usually do ok. (Not that I like doing it though.)

Barbara said...

Of course I was scared to clip them when Kaden was a baby....now I don't mind. I do have to sit him in front of the TV to get him to hold still long enough for me to get them though. Sadly, I always let them get too long before cutting them though. I wish I were more OCD in that regard.