But here it goes.
Last week I took Leda and Chase (Spencer was at K) to the pool with my friend Camille and her 3 year old daughter, Payton. It was supposed to have been a warm day, but it turned overcast on us, so in an effort to make it a more enjoyable experience for all, we hung out at the jacuzzi (aka "hot pool"). This meant that Camille and I moved the poolside lounge chairs closer to the hot pool so we could be closer to the children.
Leda and Chase both own arm floaties, but because they were just hanging out on the steps of the spa and my kids never venture far out, I thought to myself, "Oh whatever, I'll let them go without them today."
Ya, you see where this is going (big sigh) and some of you already know what happened.
About 45 minutes into our play date, the children started walking back and forth between the pool behind us and the spa in front of us. I thought I was doing a decent job of watching my children and talking to Camille at the same time. Leda was still on the steps of the hot pool and I'd turn and take inventory of the kids quite often. They weren't IN the pool mind you, they were just kinda going back and forth with their buckets and pool toys.
So Camille and I were talking and snacking when behind us we hear Payton in her little three year old voice say, "Are you okay?" to which we both responded of course by turning around. It was then that I saw that my my Chase had fallen into the pool (how had I not heard the splash??) and was bobbing up and down, struggling (and failing miserably) to keep his head above water. His yellow bucket was next to him in the water.
My heart stopped.
I jumped up, and dove into the shallow end (my clothing on) so to get myself across the pool as quickly as I could to get to him. Camille and I estimated that the entire awful experience probably was only about 7 seconds long...but it was frightening to say the least. When I got to Chase and pulled him up above water(he had sunk under completely) he took one big gasping breath, gave me a bear hug and said to me with no tears, "That was scary Mommy!"
My heart stopped again.
He was just fine. But I couldn't stop shaking for a long while. For days after this I just couldn't stop all the "what ifs?" that would creep into my head each time my eyes closed:
What if Payton hadn't said what she said, when she said it?
What if I had waited another minute before turning around to "take inventory" of my children?
What if I hadn't gotten to him in time?
What if I'd turned to see him floating face down in the water?
What if I'd had to use CPR? Even though I'm certified and trained, would I have remembered?
Ugh. It's still killing me...all these what ifs?.
So, I wasn't going to blog about this experience for obvious reasons, but since it still haunts me, I thought I'd put this out there in an effort to help me get over it and to remind us all that we can never be too careful. I am a good Mom, I know I am, but accidents happen when we are being careless. And being careless happens to the best of us at times.
With summer approaching, I know that we as mothers can get busy, get a little too ahead of ourselves at times or just think in the moment, "Oh, my kid will be just fine, this is okay"...but you just never know.
Please be careful with your children in the water this summer!
I've SO learned my lesson. I relive this lesson each time I close my eyes late at night. Hopefully by typing this all out it can be the end of my little nightmare.
I am so grateful that this experience ended with Chase being just fine. I'm so grateful that precious three year old Payton had the thought to say, "Are you okay?" to her friend who needed help, so in that moment I could respond very quickly to a very dangerous situation. So grateful.
Whew. I'm done reliving this. And so to end on a very happy note: Here is picture of my precious Chase and his gorgeous green eyes.
I'm a lucky mom, right? 
Trust me, I know.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Wasn't going to post this...
Posted by Marcy at 4:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
Ugh. That is SO scary! Thank you for sharing this. I know I will watch my children extra carefully next time we go to the pool. (And maybe I should take a CPR certification class, too.)
my worst fear!
I am so glad that it all turned out ok! He sure is a cutie...
I will probably have nightmares tonight about this, but it was a great reminder to be extra careful. You are a wonderful mom! Thanks for sharing your experience!
I am dying! I totally started crying reading that.
I'm so sorry...what a nightmare...so glad it turned out OK, and yes, hopefully you can put this behind you...what a good reminder for all of us...and yes, he's a hottie! Love your new family pics.
I'm so glad everything is OK. I appreciate the friendly reminder. Kayden can swim, but Kyler cannot yet. I have to be careful this summer. You know somebody is looking out for us. Accidents happen, but angels are watching too. We are lucky to have that protection. No matter how much we try to protect, moms will always need a little help. I'm glad little Payton was there. So sweet looking out for each other.
This is seriously one of my worst nightmares!!! Thank goodness for that little 3 year old, she just saved his life!!! It's so scary to realize that our kids could be gone in an instant...so scary! I'm glad he's ok:)
So funny that you called me mid-tears as I finished reading this! You ARE a good mom, and you are right...we all need reminders to be more careful!! So glad everyone is ok.
Oh, those are the moments we all fear. You are a great mom and I am relieved to know that everybody is ok. It really makes you stop and think doesn't it? We've had a few scary moments too and they do haunt you.
This made my heart race because the same thing happened to Bennett two summers ago, and he still remembers it. He actually was at the bottom of the pool by the time i got to him and i was shaking for days after that. He will remind me once in a while when i am laying in bed with him at night, he will say..."remember that time i was stuck in the water and you jumped in and saved me?" But what if I hadn't? It is too scary to think about, I avoided the pool for a long time after that.
That is the most awful feeling ever! I had a similar situation with Perry 2 summers ago. I'm so glad everything is alright and he is in one piece!
It's a scary thing to experience. I am so glad everything turned out good. You are great and accidents happen, even when we are careful. Hope you can move forward and know you are a wonderful mom.
first i am so glad everything is ok and second i can't tell you how many times i feel like i have those what if experiances. I'm so sorry it can be overwhelming wondering. you are such a wonderful mom, thankyou for sharing a great reminder
xoxo lisa
So scary... this is one of my worst fears too. I'm so glad he is ok, he is a doll! This is Steph by the way, from USU! Your little family is adorable... You and Aaron look as gorgeous as ever! I'm so excited I found your blog. I love it! Thanks for sharing...we all need a reminder. I'm so glad everything turned out ok.
Even though I was there, I just got so teary just reading that, too! Marcy, all those "what-ifs" will get the best of you, but we are so fortunate to have a little gift called the Holy Ghost! I feel so lucky that in those moments when I'm not paying attention enough something inside me tells me something is off. You are an awesome mom and you were such a hero that day. I'm so so so glad that everything turned out ok and little Chase is ok!!!
I thought about this story when I was at the pool yesterday, thanks for sharing because I bet it still gives you shivers. By the way I love your pictures!
Marcy, I'm sure Camille mentioned that this has both happened to us! And, at her pool! Seriously I had nightmares about it for a week! I'm sorry that it happened, but a good lesson learned for sure. I am pretty strict with floaties now, and maybe this is why my kids are not too brave in the water. I don't care though, I will never forget Dallin's face underwater.
Oh Marcy! I'm so sorry that you had this experience. My heart was sinking as I read this...I know our Father in Heaven is aware of each of us and he was aware of what was happening and he chose a child to help...I love it! And I'm so glad you knew what to do! You are a GREAT Mom! Thanks for sharing this great reminder with us! (Dallen's Mimi!)
Holy cow! So scary. Isn't amazing what can happen in a matter of just seconds?
Glad everyone is safe. I always ask myself those 'ifs' too.
Post a Comment